- Learning the lingo of homebuying is an important part of feeling successful when buying a home.
- From APR to P&I, you need to know the acronyms that will come up along the way, and what they mean when you hear them.
- Your local professionals are here to help you feel confident and informed from start to finish…and this infographic will help you as you go.
- Keeping an eye on the current status of the housing market is one of the best ways to make powerful and confident decisions when buying or selling a home.
- Mortgage rates remaining near historic lows and houses selling in an average of only 29 days are just two key elements driving the strength of today’s market.
- With the national data shown here, make sure to also determine what’s happening in your local market so you are fully informed when you’re ready to make your next move.
- There is plenty of talk in the media about a pending economic slowdown.
- The good news is, home values actually increased in 3 of the last 5 U.S. recessions, and decreased by less than 2% in the 4th.
- Many experts predict a potential recession is on the horizon. However, housing will not be the trigger, and home values will still continue to appreciate. It will not be a repeat of the crash in the 2008 housing market.
- The pumpkin spice latte is launching soon, so you may be tempted to spend your extra cash on a daily caffeine fix, but that small expense can add up to a big number – fast!
- Saving for a down payment takes a little discipline, so limiting your extra purchases (like a latte a day from your favorite coffee shop) will help you get there faster.
- Depending on where you live, putting away just a small amount each day will get you to the average down payment you may need for homeownership faster thank you think.
- Owning your own home vs. renting may lead to some great options, such as locking in your monthly payments and having the freedom to customize your living space.
- Whether you rent or own, you have to cover someone’s mortgage costs. You may as well be doing so to build your own wealth, rather than that of your landlord.
- Renting and owning both have up-front fees when you sign your lease or close, respectively. Think about putting that money to work for you!
- Existing Home Sales dropped 1.7% from May to a seasonally adjusted annual rate of 5.27 million in June.
- Low inventory levels are still a factor in the market. The current supply of homes for sale is at 4.4 months, which is less than the optimal 6-month supply.
- Median home prices were up 4.3% from June 2018, hitting $285,700. This marked the 88th consecutive month with year-over-year price gains.
- The Federal Housing Finance Agency (FHFA) recently released their latest Quarterly Home Price Index report.
- In the report, home prices are compared both regionally and by state.
- Based on the latest numbers, if you plan on relocating to another state, waiting to move may end up costing you more!
- According to the US Census Bureau, “millennials” are defined as 18-36-year-olds.
- According to NAR’s latest Profile of Home Buyers & Sellers, the median age of all first-time home buyers is 32.
- More and more “old millennials” (25-36) are realizing that homeownership is within their grasp now!
- If you are thinking of buying a home, you may not know where to start.
- Here is a simple list of 10 steps that you will go through to purchase a home.
- Make sure to ask your agent for details about each step and what else may be required in your area!
- Real estate has outranked stocks/mutual funds, gold, savings accounts/CDs, and bonds as the best long-term investment among Americans for the last 6 years.
- Stock owners are more positive about real estate than stocks as an investment.
- Of the 4 listed, real estate is the only investment you can also live in!